Pages

Monday, December 8, 2014

Christmas Science

The holidays can be such a stressful time in teaching and in life (if I am totally honest). So I try to incorporate learning and the holidays as much as I can, especially with the whole bell-to-bell instruction, threat of a walk-through looming over your head. The days of enjoying the time with kids and doing a fun Christmas craft are sadly over. Although, I feel we are negatively impacting our children's fine motor skills due to lack of cutting and clueing, but that is a whole other topic.

So last year I thought, how can I cover Science during this crazy time of year? That's when I thought about matter! There are many liquids we see during the holidays (some kids can't see), lots of solids (things I wish I didn't see and eat!), and even several gasses. So Holidays Matter was born. All the essential questions were asked; vocabulary was taught, and the packet contained  fun experiments that taught children about matter while having a festive holiday atmosphere. Take a look at some of the fun we had...

First, we made some predictions about objects inside of Christmas stockings. They had to then determine if they were a solid, a liquid or a gas. 


We also did some floating activities with various holiday solids in some milk for Santa.
In the end the kids could answer the following essential questions:
This unit ended up being a really fun way of learning about matter while having fun during the holidays. The first experiment is free at my TpT store! If you want more, the full pack is available as well. 



Happy Holidays! I hope your holiday is filled with learning and fun!



No comments:

Post a Comment